Administration of the Water Smart Australia Program
- Tabled Date:
Thursday 4th February 2010
- Report Number:
- Environment, Water, Heritage & the Arts
- Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts National Water Commission
The objective of this audit was to assess whether the WSA program has been administered effectively by the NWC/DEWHA , as relevant, and is achieving its stated program objective. Specifically, the ANAO examined whether:
- funding proposals have been assessed and approved in a fair, consistent manner and in accordance with applicable criteria, program guidelines and better practice;
- appropriate funding arrangements have been established with proponents, having regard to the size of the grant, the type of entity involved and the nature of the project; and
- DEWHA (and previously the NWC) is actively monitoring whether proponents are complying with their obligations, and grant payments are made only in accordance with funding agreements.
More broadly, the audit examined DEWHA's strategy for evaluating and reporting on the long-term benefits of the program.
Download Audit Report No. 21