Innovation, Industry, Science and Research
Audit strategy overview
The Innovation, Industry, Science and Research portfolio was established in December 2007. The portfolio aims to promote a coordinated approach to innovation, science and research and to foster industry competitiveness. Portfolio agencies include:
- Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research (DIISR);
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies;
- Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS);
- Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation;
- Australian Research Council (ARC);
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO); and
- IP Australia.
Combined funding for the portfolio in 2010–11 was nearly $6 billion. Recent ANAO audits have covered various industry assistance schemes, including the Automotive Competitiveness and Investment Scheme and the Textile, Clothing and Footwear Scheme; and the portfolio agencies, AIMS, ARC and CSIRO.
The ANAO’s audit program for the coming years proposes to focus on programs primarily administered by DIISR. Many of these programs are underpinned by grants processes, so these audits will incorporate an examination of how the department has adopted the recent changes to grants administration including the requirements of the Commonwealth Grants Guidelines. Balancing this focus will be audits covering other portfolio agencies as well as the implementation of new initiatives such as Commercialisation Australia.