The ANAO Capability Framework articulates the clusters of behaviours and skills required within the ANAO workforce to enable strong business performance. The ANAO’s capability framework is designed and intended to be a tool to assist all staff and managers to be effective in their roles. All staff are strongly encouraged to use the framework regularly, particularly as part of the following HR processes:
- Learning and Development;
- Recruitment and Selection; and
- Performance Assessment.
These expectations regarding capability go hand in hand with the ANAO’s Work Level Standards (WLS). The WLS articulate the key responsibilities that staff members are expected to accomplish; that is, what staff do.
Explanation of the framework
The ANAO Capability Framework replaced the generic APS capability framework and Integrated Leadership System (ILS). It describes examples of the actions that people demonstrate in accomplishing their work at the ANAO, to provide clear expectations and enable reliable assessment of capability levels.
Specifically, the ANAO Capability Framework:
- Articulates the ANAO’s expectations for how the workforce undertake their work. The capability framework applies to employees from the APS2 to EL2 classification level as applicable (refer to capability mapping for each area of the ANAO);
- Complements the ANAO’s Work Level Standards (WLS). The WLS articulate the key responsibilities that staff members are expected to accomplish; that is, what staff do. The capability framework describes how staff go about accomplishing these responsibilities;
- Focuses on the critical capabilities that distinguish top performers and drive business performance. The capability framework does not include all possible capabilities that could apply to the ANAO workforce, it focuses on those capabilities that truly drive effective performance at and for the ANAO. This is to help ensure the ANAO’s future investments in workforce capability produce maximum returns; and
- Uses language that is unique to the ANAO. The framework was developed through extensive consultation with staff at the ANAO. This increases the framework’s relevance and reinforces the ANAO’s unique identity.