This follow-up audit reviewed the operations of the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) which is responsible for ensuring the sustainable use and efficient management of Commonwealth fisheries resources. The objective of this follow-up audit was to assess the extent to which AFMA addressed the issues that gave rise to the recommendations of ANAO Report No.32 1995-96, and the related recommendations of the House of Representatives Standing Committee Report 1997, that were supported by the Government.
The follow-up audit focussed on the key issues identified in the recommendations and grouped these in the themes of:
- strategic and performance management;
- management of the advisory process;
- implementation of fisheries management methods;
- managing AFMA's environmental responsibilities as they relate to Commonwealth fisheries
- compliance, monitoring and enforcement responsibilities; and
- management of information and research.