The objective of the audit was to assess the administrative effectiveness of Australian Customs Services (Customs) drug detection strategies for air and containerised sea cargo and small craft activity. Within the scope of the audit, the following areas were examined :
- intelligence and law enforcement cooperation;
- air and containerised sea cargo;
- cargo examinations and technology;
- small craft activities;
- Customs funding arrangements (including funding for NIDS initiatives): and
- governance, including performance reporting.